patronage of our affiliate
partners supports this web site.
We thank you! In other words, please shop at LBC
Buy at AllPosters.com
La Belle Cuisine
Dulce de Leche Cake
(Pastel de Cuatro Leches)
Saveur - One Year Subscription
Makes one 9" × 13" cake
"Luxuriant moistness is this dessert's calling card. The secret to achieving
the cake's decadent texture is to poke it all over with a knife while it's still
warm, before dousing it with a rich milk mixture so that it penetrates every
part of the cake's interior."
2 teaspoons butter
1 tablespoon plus 2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine salt
6 eggs, at room temperature,
1 1⁄4 cups sugar
1⁄2 cup whole milk
1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark rum
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
[such as Eagle Brand milk]
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 cup heavy cream
One 16-ounce jar dulce de leche
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with
the butter and dust with 1 tablespoon of the flour. Invert the dish, tap
out the excess flour, and set aside.
2. Sift the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set
aside. Put the egg whites into a large bowl and beat with a hand-held
electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. While the mixer is still running, add the sugar in a gradual stream and continue beating again to soft peaks. Add the egg yolks one at a time,
beating well after each addition. Alternately add the reserved flour
mixture and the whole milk in 3 parts, beating until smooth after each addition. Add the rum and vanilla and beat again briefly until smooth.
3. Pour batter into reserved baking pan and bake until golden brown,
about 30 minutes. Set the cake aside and let cool slightly for 30
4. Whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream in a bowl. Using a knife, poke the cake with holes all
over, penetrating to the bottom of the pan. Pour the milk mixture
the warm cake and set aside to let cool completely.
5. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled and liquid is absorbed, at least 4 hours. Spread the dulce de leche across
the top of the cake and serve.
Featured Archive Recipes:
Anna Banana Cake with
Brown Sugar Glaze
Orange-Soaked Bundt Cake
Sour Cream Orange Cake
Toasted Pecan Caramel Cake
Index - Cake Recipe Archives
- Cake Fillings and Frostings
Cinco de Mayo Recipes!
Daily Recipe Index
Recipe Archives Index