Chocolate Macadamia Nut Crust:
1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely ground
Sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sweetened coconut,
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter,
cut into small pieces
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sweetened coconut,
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese,
at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons dark rum
6 ounces white chocolate, cut into
1/2 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
White chocolate curls
Make the chocolate macadamia nut crust:
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Remove the side from a 9-by-3-inch springform pan. Trim a 9-inch cardboard circle cake
circle so that it fits within the curved lip of the
bottom of the springform pan. Cover
the bottom of the pan with a
piece of aluminum foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang all around
edge. Carefully attach the side of the pan. (Lining the bottom of the
pan this way
will give the cheesecake an even flat base, making it
easy to remove from the pan.)
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the chocolate wafer crumbs, ground
macadamia nuts, and toasted coconut. Add the melted butter and
well. Press the mixture
evenly onto the bottom of the
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the crust is puffy and bounces
when gently pressed with a finger. Cool on a wire rack.
Prepare the coconut topping:
4. In a medium bowl, using a wire whisk stir together the toasted
coconut, flour and salt. Add the butter cubes and with your
fingers toss to distribute
thoroughly. Chill until ready to bake
Make the filling:
5. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and reduce the oven
temperature to 325 degrees F. Using two large pieces of heavy
aluminum foil, tightly wrap
the outside of the pan.
6. In a medium saucepan combine the milk and the toasted coconut
bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
and cover. Steep the mixture
30 minutes. Strain
milk, pressing the solids
all of the coconut; you
should have 3/4
cup of liquid.
7. In the 4 1/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer using the
attachment, beat the cream cheese at low speed for 1
minute, until creamy. Gradually add
the sugar in a steady stream
and beat at medium speed until blended. Add the cornstarch.
Scrape down the side of the bowl, and beat 30 seconds longer.
At medium-low speed, one at
a time, add the eggs, beating
after each addition. Gradually add the strained coconut
until blended. Beat in the vanilla and the rum.
8. Pour the filling into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the white chocolate
chunks evenly over the filling.
9. Sprinkle the prepared coconut topping over the center of the
cheesecake, leaving a 1-inch plain border around the rim of the
10. Place the cheesecake in a high-sided roasting pan on the lower rack
of the oven. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan so that the
the side of the springform pan. Bake the
for 70 to 80 minutes, until the sides
are puffy and the
Leave the cheesecake in the pan in the oven and
turn off the oven.
Prop open the
door of the oven with a wooden
spoon and allow the
cool down slowly in the oven
for 30 minutes.
11. Remove the cheesecake from the roasting pan and remove the foil
around the outside of the springform pan. Run a thin-bladed
around the inside of the
pan to release the cheesecake from
of the pan.
This will prevent the top of the
Cool the cheesecake in the pan set on a wire rack.
uncovered for at
least 8 hours or overnight.
Garnish the cheesecake:
12. Run a thin-bladed knife around the inside of the pan to release the
cheesecake from the side of the pan. Unclamp and remove the side
of the springform pan.
Gently press the chocolate wafer crumbs
the side of the cheesecake. Dust the top with
decorate with white chocolate curls.
13. Slide a metal cake spatula under the cheesecake to loosen it from
the bottom of the springform pan. Slide two long metal cake spa-
cheesecake and transfer it to a serving plate.
14. Cut the cheesecake with a sharp, thin-bladed knife, dipping the
in hot water and wiping it dry after each slice.