Night of Pie Dreaming
La Belle Cuisine - More Pie Recipes
Fine Cuisine with Art Infusion
"To cook is to create. And to create well...is an act of integrity, and faith."
Prize-Winning Candy Apple Pie
"My tongue is smiling" - Abigail Trillin
Recipe of the Day Categories:
Sunday, October 22, 2000
Don't forget the candlelight!
Candy Apple Pie
Ingredients for Crust:
1 1/2-cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3-cup butter (melted)
3/4-cup caramel ice cream topping
1 cup chopped pecans
Ingredients for Apple Filling:
5 granny smith apples (remove peel and core and slice
5 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Topping:
8 oz. package of cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
Ingredients for Topping:
3/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup caramel topping
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Instructions for Crust:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium size bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix well and press into a 10-inch pie plate, and up the sides. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden in color. Remove pie shell from oven and cool completely. Pour caramel into pie shell and sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped pecans. Refrigerate pie shell while making apple filling.
Instructions for Apple Filling:
3. In a large (12-inch) skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add apples and stir. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are softened and tender. Let cool for 10 minutes and pour into pie shell. Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
Instructions for Cream Cheese Topping:
4. In a medium bowl, using a hand held mixer on low speed, combine cream cheese and sugar for about 1 minute or until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice and vanilla and beat for 1 more minute or until fully blended. Pour over apple filling in pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean. Remove pie from oven and let cool. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Let stand outside the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
Instructions for Topping:
5. Top with whipped cream, caramel and pecans and swirl with a knife. Slice and serve.
Click for Index - Pie Recipe Archives
"A man can always accept a piece of pie. On the farm,
pie is the great common denominator."
Click for Basic Pie Crust Recipes and Techniques!