patronage of our affiliate
partners supports this web site.
We thank you! In other words, please shop at LBC
Buy at AllPosters.com
La Belle Cuisine
Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
(Orecchiette con Broccoli di Rape e Salsiccia)
Over 100 Years of
Italian Home Cooking
By Frank Pellegrino, 1998, Random House
"Orecchiette, 'little ears' in Italian, are small disc- or ear-shaped
semolina pastas once made only at home. If you can't find this
shape, any ridged or tubular small pasta will hold the sauce
Serves 4 as main course. Serves 6 as pasta course.
1/4 cup flavored olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 pound Italian sausage, a combination of hot
and sweet according
to your taste, cut into
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup broccoli rabe water
1 pound orecchiette
1 pound broccoli rabe, cooked
Freshly-grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1. Heat oil and stir in garlic in a large sauté pan over medium
the sausages and sauté until meat is cooked and loses its raw look.
2. Salt and pepper to taste, and sauté one minute.
3. Add the rabe water.
4. Raise heat and cook until sauce is hot.
5. Meanwhile, cook orecchiette in rapidly boiling water until al
6. Drain orecchiette. Return drained orecchiette to the pot. Place
over medium heat and stir in 3/4 cup of broccoli rabe and sausage sauce.
7. Using a wooden spoon, toss together for 1 minute. Remove from
and pour into a large serving platter or bowl. Spoon remaining
Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese.
Flavored Olive Oil
Makes 1 cup
1 cup fine-quality olive oil
(such as Filippo Berio)
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1. Heat oil in a small, heavy saucepan on medium-low heat.
2. Add garlic and barely simmer until garlic is just beginning to
3. Remove and discard garlic.
4. Pour oil into a clean container and reserve, at room
as flavored oil for frying and sautéing.
2 large bunches broccoli rabe
1. Remove any tough outer or damaged leaves. Cut off the stems and
tear the leaves into large pieces (about 3 to 4 inches). Wash in a sink
filled with cold
water. Shake off excess water.
2. Place broccoli rabe in a deep saucepan with cold water to cover
about 2 inches. Bring just to a simmer over high heat. As soon as
sides of the pan, remove it from the heat.
3. Drain cooking water. (Reserve it if you are going to combine the
broccoli rabe with pasta or are going to prepare a Raos recipe
4. Immediately place broccoli rabe in cold water to cover to stop
cooking process. when broccoli rabe is cool, drain well in a colander
and pat dry.
5. Cover with a damp cloth and refrigerate until ready to sauté or
to pasta or sauces.
More from Rao's!
Four Basic Vegetables
Pappardelle with Hot Sausage Sauce
Recipes from the Neighborhood
Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
Index - Pasta Recipe Archives
Index - Main Dish Recipe Archives
Daily Recipe Index
Recipe Archives Index